Executive Board meeting
May 16, 2018 4:00--5:00 PM
Westborough High School
(V) = Virtual attendance
View full meeting minutes here
Alison Barker, Old Rochester Regional High School, Co-Director Southeast Region
Amy Bloom, Wilson Middle School, Natick, Co-Director, Metrowest Region
Anita Cellucci, Westborough High School, outgoing President
Robin Cicchettti, Concord Carlisle High School, Research
Karen Davidson-Heller, Malden Catholic High School, Boston Area Co-Director (V)
Jennifer Dimmick, Newton South High School, Secretary
Patsy Divver, Millis Middle/High School, Co-Director Metrowest Region
Deeth Ellis, Boston Latin School, Co-Director Boston Region
Barb Fecteau, Beverly High School, Co-Director Northeast Region (V)
Laura Gardner, Dartmouth Middle School, Advocacy Co-Chair (V)
Kathy Lowe, Executive Director
Laura Luker, Pioneer Valley Chinese Immersion Charter, Hadley, Professional Learning (V)
Ann Perham, Awards (V)
Amy Short, Director for Library Media for Cambridge Public Schools, Awards Co-Chair (V)
Reba Tierney, Waltham High School, Forum Newsletter Co-Editor
Carrie Tucker, East Bridgewater Junior Senior High School, President
Jen Varney, Dr. Martin Luther King Junior Elementary School, Cambridge, Treasurer
Welcome, call to order, and approve reports and minutes of April meeting - Carrie Tucker
Congratulations to Anita Cellucci who has been elected Region 1 Director for AASL Affiliate Assembly
Amy Bloom made a motion to approve the reports and minutes from the April meeting, Anita Cellucci seconded and the motion passed unanimously.
Approve open board positions for 2018-2019 - Carrie Tucker
Jennifer Dimmick made a motion to approve the slate of candidates below, Reba Tierney seconded and the motion passed unanimously.
- Advocacy, Robin Cicchetti, Concord Carlisle High, and Judi Paradis, Plympton Elementary, Waltham. These are appointed positions. We are delighted that they have agreed to take this on, after all of their hard work on the commission
- Southeast, Rachel Barrett, Foxboro High
- Metrowest, Maria D’Orsi, Medford High
- Central ADs, TBD
- Awards, Wendy Garland, Avery Elementary, Dedham; will work with Paige Rowse and Ann Perham on this committee
- Professional Learning, Emily Warner, Notre Dame Academy, Hingham
- Digital Commonwealth Liaison, Linda Redding, Silver Lake Regional High, Kingston;
- Vocational Technical School Liaison, Ariel Dagan, Tri County RVTHS
AASL Affiliate Assembly Region 1 is comprised of state association regional representatives from RI, CT, NH, ME, VT, and MA.
Reba Tierney is our regional representative at Affiliate Assembly. The role of Affiliate Assembly is to determine which regional concerns and commendations to move forward with addressing in AASL. At the most recent AASL Affiliate Assembly Meeting Region 1 put forth the following concerns and commendations for consideration:
Concerns - submitted 3, 2 are moving on, one rejected
- Improve communications through AASL to eliminate confusion about roles of regional directors and representatives. This concern was approved as worthy of moving forward in AASL.
- Address the fact that the new AASL Standards books are prohibitively priced for many members. AASL is already aware and working on it so this concern will not move forward.
- ALA should be made aware that many AASL affiliates are not part of their counterpart state ALA chapter organizations and thus not officially represented by a state chapter councilor. As a result, council communications and strategies are not readily shared with AASL affiliate organizations except through the efforts of the AASL Division Councilor. Consequently, there is a general lack of understanding by school librarians regarding how ALA is structured and operates. This Concern will move forward.
Massachusetts School Library Study--next steps Carrie Tucker
A planning meeting will be on May 30 after school at the Plympton School in Waltham.
NESLA board meeting May 3 - Carrie Tucker
- NESLA conference is Saturday November 17 8:30 AM to evening. This marks the 100 year anniversary of NESLA. Boston Plaza Hotel. Rooms are $199. EBSCO is a sponsor. Speakers include Roger Rosen and Chris Harris. Attendees will include Debbie Abilock, Greg Pronevitz, James Lonergan ( MBLC Director).
Anita Cellucci made a motion to accept the Executive Director’s performance evaluation, Reba Tierney seconded, and all approved.
FY19 budget - Jen Varney
Some of the language was fine-tuned since the last vote on the long-term financial planning committee’s recommendations and we also need to have a second vote because this is a policy change.
Patsy Divver made a motion to accept the revised recommendations, Robin Cicchetti seconded all approved.
Jen Varney presented the proposed budget for next year as revised per financial planning recommendations and a few other changes.
Jennifer Dimmick made a motion to accept the budget, Allison Barker seconded and all voted in favor.
5:35 Professional learning update - Laura Luker
- The committee will schedule first conference committee meeting for 2019 conference soon
- SLJ Basecamp Aug 6 and 7, Simmons College
- Media Literacy event with MassCUE/WGBH - Sept. 13, 4-7 PM at EDCO in Bedford. Will include hors d'oeuvres and drinks. Speakers include Frontline journalists
- Bookmark contest awards were held at An Unlikely Story, on May 9 and Laura Gardner reports that it was a wonderful event in which everyone did their part and the students and families were pleased and proud to be there. Laura has agreed to chair the committee again next year.
- Reba Tierney shared that Cindy Earle is going to take over the Picture Book Column for the Forum.
- Deeth shared details about upcoming Boston event in West Roxbury with Boston City ArchivesAmy Short announced 2 maternity leave positions available in fall in Cambridge, one elementary one high school, each for 3 months.
- Reba recommends Boston Teen Author book festival Sept. 22, a free event. Awesome panels. See website or Facebook page http://www.bostonteenauthorfestival.com/
- Wednesday, June 13, 2018 4:00--6:00 Westborough High School
- Greg Pronevitz’s retirement reception, June 28, Harvard Public Library
- SLJ Basecamp Aug 6 and 7
- Media Literacy event with MassCUE/WGBH - Sept. 13, 4-7 PM at EDCO in Bedford
- NESLA 100 year conference and celebration “Dancing with the stars” Nov 17, Boston Plaza Hotel