Executive Board meeting
May 15, 2019 4:00 - 6:00
Massachusetts Library System
225 Cedar Hill Street, Suite 229, Marlborough, MA 01752
Allison Barker, Co-Director Southeast Region
Anita Cellucci, Advocacy (V)
Karen Davidson-Heller, Co-Director Boston Region (V)
Patsy Divver, Co-Director Metrowest Region
Jennifer Dimmick, Secretary
Deeth Ellis, Co-Director Boston Region
Maria D’Orsi, Co-Director Metrowest Region
Barb Fecteau, Co-Director Northeast Region
Sarah Forfa, Co-Director West Region
Alida Hanson, Professional Learning Co-chair
Kathy Lowe, Executive Director
Laura Luker, President Elect (V)
Claudia Palframan, Co-Director West Region (V)
Ann Perham, Awards
Greg Pronevitz, MSLA Communications Specialist (V)
Paige Rowse, Awards (V)
Katherine Steiger, Co-editor Forum Newsletter (V)
Carrie Tucker, President
Pamela Vallee, Co-Director Central Region
Jen Varney, Cambridge, Treasurer
Call to order
The Board dedicated a moment of silence to mourn the passing of our long time advocate and friend, Judi Paradis.
Committee reports and the minutes from the April meeting were approved.
Carrie Tucker recognized Ann Perham as a member of the board for decades, serving in possibly all positions. This is her last board meeting, though she has agreed to stay on as webmaster.
Budget 2019-2020 Discussion and vote proposed budget -- Jen Varney
The draft 2019-2020 budget was accepted with proposed changes.
Minor language changes to the policy manual were approved.
Office manager transition Update by Carrie Tucker
Discretionary spending was approved for up to 20 hours of time to pay activities required to smooth Dianne Regnier’s transition into the office manager position/event planner.
- Board reviewed proposed changes to descriptions of the Peggy Hallisey Lifetime Award vs. the Service Award to better differentiate the two.
- Board changed the name of the former to “Peggy Hallisey Leadership Award”
- Board reviewed proposed changes to descriptions of the Super Librarian vs. the President’s Award to better differentiate the two.
Thank you shout out to Laura Gardner for a fantastic bookmark event
Discussed the pros and cons of continuing to use the Salem State LibGuide for the MA Study and related research as sole location for advocacy materials, including ease of finding and accessing advocacy materials on the one hand and preserving appearance of independence and scholarly legitimacy on the other. Decided to discuss this once new advocacy chairs join the Board.
Professional Learning -- Alida Hanson
- 2020 conference
- Alix Woznik was approved as Professional Learning co-chair
- Alida Hanson shared the list of 2020 Conference Committee members
- MassCUE/WGBH/MSLA September media literacy event - Laura Luker
- Deeth Ellis will present for high school
- Lisa Rogers will present for elementary school
- MOU (memorandum of understanding) language approved
Membership Discussion of Lapsed members was tabled for the next meeting due to time constraints.
Meeting adjourned at 6 PM.
- Better Together, MSLA/MassCUE, Fall 2019, TEC Walpole
Upcoming board meetings
- Wednesday, June 12, 2019 4:00--6:00 Bolton Public Library
Bolton MA 01740