Executive Board meeting
September 14, 2019 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Audubon Broad Meadow Brook Conservation Area
Allison Barker, Co-Director Southeast Region
Jennifer Dimmick, Secretary
Patsy Divver, Co-Director Metrowest Region
Maria D’Orsi, Co-Director Metrowest Region
Deeth Ellis, Advocacy Co-Chair
Pat Fontes, retired, Awards
Alida Hanson, Professional Learning Co-chair
Laura Harrington, Co-Director Northeast Area
Emily Kristofek, Office Manager
Laura Luker, President
Ingrid Mayyasi, Awards
Claudia Palframan, Co-Director West Region
Katherine Steiger, Forum Co-Editor
Reba Tierney, Forum Co-Editor
Carrie Tucker, Past President
Pamela Vallee, Co-Director Central Region
Morgan Van Clief, Co-Director Boston Region
Jen Varney, Treasurer
Call to order and approve minutes of June meeting
Minutes of the June board meeting and the slate of new board members were approved.
Welcome to Emily Kristofek, new Office Manager/Event Planner - Laura Luker
Reminder that MSLA has a new address and phone number: (also displayed in the website footer)
Emily Kristofek, Office Manager/Event Planner
P.O Box 336. Wayland, MA 01778
Budget - Jen Varney
Voted to approve budget updates.
Professional Learning - Alida Hanson
Theme for this year’s conference: School Libraries Build Strong Communities
Keynote speaker will be Jarrett Krosoczka.
Better Together MassCue conference is coming up at the end of the month.
Director of Outreach Highlights (Laura Luker)
Carrie Tucker attended the MASS (Massachusetts Association of School Superintendents) 2019 Executive Institute on July 9 in Mashpee, and presented a lockbox activity attended by four administrators from three districts.
Waltham HS will be visited by DESE committee including the commissioner as a representative of a good library program.
Updates on statewide budget are positive.
There as been some movement on setting up a meeting October 3 at the State House with Rep. Alice Peisch, House Chair of the Joint Committee on Education, to discuss the Recommendations of the Special Commission on School Library Services.
Discussed the differences between advocacy and lobbying.
Judi Paradis Fund (Laura Luker and Awards Committee)
Contributions are continuing to come in. Board agreed to continue to solicit contributions with a goal of reaching $5,000.
Group discussed the goal, intent, and name of fund/award; permitted amounts and uses for funds awarded; and ways to sustain the program. The awards committee will use the ideas in this discussion to formalize details of the fund.
Membership and advocacy issues: (Laura Luker)
- Reviewed board member responsibilities. Shared information with area directors to help them fulfill their responsibilities including communication tips and sample emails for approaching lapsed members about renewing membership with MSLA.
- Shared Advocacy Libguide for wealth of materials for those engaged in or interested in school library advocacy initiatives.
- Shared SLJ article: How to Speak Administrator
- Reminder about Advocacy Summit in October. Shared Find my legislator link for those ready to contact their legislators with advocacy communications.
● Worked in small groups to complete action plan templates.
- Better Together, MSLA/MassCUE, September 25, 2019, TEC Walpole
- Board Meeting Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:00--6:00 Virtual
- Board Meeting Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:00--6:00 location tbd (AASL)
- MSLA 2020 Conference, March 29-30, 2020, Sheraton Framingham