Board Retreat & Board Meeting; September 18, 2021; Zoom format
2. Housekeeping: Please keep your webpage up to date, and any general webpage updates can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org; meeting dates are in the dashboard.
(i) Treasurer - Michelle Fontaine: going forward, it will be monthly reports as opposed to reports beginning and ending mid-month
(ii) CVENT - Jen: CVENT manages the online membership renewal portal as well as annual meeting registration. Refunds were processed for cancelled meeting. Jen may reach out for volunteers to form a committee to look at options for smaller companies that deal with non-profits with good customer service going forward.
(iii) Professional Learning and Conference - Alix: conversation previously with Jen, need to decide soon on format for upcoming year; weighing up in person vs virtual, or a hybrid approach. Next meeting 9/20/2021, 6-7pm.
(iv) Advocacy - Georgina: two new people, looking to work as a collaborative group, reaching out to Superintendents, Principals and NEU pre-service educators to highlight how school librarians work with their school communities
(v) Outreach - Deb: shared a report from meeting 8/13/2021, brainstorming ways to get a point person with DESE, ongoing work with Senator Lesser. Presenting to BPS School Committee on Wednesday 9/22/2021 at 5pm, announcing 2021-2024 $20 million investment and 80 certified librarians!!
(vi) Awards - Wendy & Ingrid: nominations open 10/12/2021 through 11/22/2021. The goal of this change is to celebrate awards recipients in a BIG way and streamline the awards process.
(vii) Forum - Luke & Reba: first edition in Oct, survey out looking for writers for articles; potential Q&A feature for new librarians “Ask A Library Legend”
4. MA Teen Choice Book Award: Barb & Suzanne Idea for new book award for YA. Discuss with Jen, start getting the word out at first Northeast meeting. Barb to announce through Listerv
5. Brainstorm / Priorities / Annual Meeting follow-up: Jen Postponed to Oct to allow time for Action Plans; in particular, at the Annual Meeting in July, the breakout rooms revealed priority action items including the need to support new librarians and to encourage people to become school librarians
6. Meeting dates: 4-6pm or later was the consensus; potential clash with AASL meeting in Oct; decision to keep Oct MSLA meeting date
7. Action Plans: designed to give direction for your year ahead as a committee chair or an area director. Three main areas - engage and recruit, work with educational community to advocate for school librarians and align with MSLA’s strategic plan.
Meeting Adjourned: motion Reba, second Georgina, all in favor, meeting adjourned 11:24 am