April 14, 2021 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM; Virtual Meeting
Michael Caligiuri, Co-Director Central Region
Jennifer Dimmick, Secretary
Patsy Divver, Co-Director Metrowest Region
Maria D’Orsi, Co-Director Metrowest Region
Deeth Ellis, Co-Director Boston Region
Barb Fecteau, Co-Director Northeast Region
Michelle Fontaine, Treasurer
Wendy Garland, Awards
Morgan Keohane, Co-Director Boston Region
Laura Luker, President
Daisy Magner, SLIS Student
April Mazza, MLS Liaison
Greg Pronevitz, Director of Outreach
Katherine Steiger, Forum Co-Editor
Georgina Trebbe, Co-Chair Advocacy
Pamela Vallee, Co-Director Central Region
Jen Varney, President Elect
Alix Woznick, Professional Learning
Reports and minutes of March meeting were approved
MLS liaison update --- April Mazza
- Newsletter - Executive Director Sarah Sogigian is doing a monthly live Q&A, next one is 4/27 about The Library For the Commonwealth and all the BPL Resources available to members; Another highlight is about the Sora ebook program. Over a million plus checkouts have been logged so far!
- MBLC is offering Youth Mental Health First Aid to Massachusetts library staff using CARES Act funding -- see listserv email.
- New podcast with April Maza and Christi Farrar “This Podcast is Overdue.” You can find it on Apple, Spotify, Overcast, etc. It’s book oriented, includes new things learned, and an “Ask Us Anything” segment. They will be having guests in the future. Feel free to suggest topics, guests, etc.
Professional Learning Update --- Alida Hanson, Alix Woznick
- MSLA 2021 Feedback Analysis -- very positive feedback (90% 4 or 5 on 5 point scale). 85% indicated that they would attend another all-virtual conference. Positive feedback on Gholdy Muhammad. Good feedback on sessions, speakers, etc.
- Discussion ensued regarding ways to keep the positive aspects of virtual and combining with the positive aspects of in-person in the future.
Advocacy --- Georgina Trebbe
- Senator Lessor’s aide Joel indicated that he plans to use the MSLA letter to draft something to the DESE.
- NEA question - Georgina asked the president about the importance of having a certified librarian. Encourages others to do the same.
Outreach --- Greg Pronevitz
- 25 school librarians and 50 legislators attended Library Legislative Day. Greg thanked those who attended.
- Greg raised the idea of a school library census at each regional meeting. At the Central meeting, Senator Gobi asked how we are doing this and expressed interest in helping. A para in the district (who is training for certification) said she was willing to write a letter to Senator Gobi with parent support requesting attention to this matter. Greg then hopes to pair Senator Gobi with Senator Lessor to spearhead legislation.
- House Ways and Means met today and granted more than what MBLC asked for. Very positive news.
- MLA’s virtual conference is scheduled for May 17 and 18, including a presentation by EveryLibrary’s John Chrastka.
- Deadline is May 15 (different vehicle now for “concerns” to be communicated to AASL; no longer paired with commendations)
- Must be a program, event, or product that has had an impact on school librarianship in MA
- All recommendations are welcome. It always looks good for our state to be able to commend others. A few candidates for commendation were suggested.
Nominating committee update --- Jen Varney
- Related - non-elected positions open (Forum, PD co-chair, bookmark contest)
- The positions of Secretary, Treasurer, and all Area Directors are up for election; Current Secretary, Southeast Area Co-Directors (2), Central Area Co-Director (1), and West Area Co-Director (1) are not seeking re-election so will definitely need new candidates.
- An information session is tentatively scheduled for 4/27 from 4-5 pm.
- The goal is to recruit a fresh and diverse group of people to the board.
Treasurer --- Jen Varney and Michelle Fontaine
- FY22 Budget update and discussion of various line-items
- Vote on final budget will be taken at May meeting
Other news/topics from board members
- Pamela Vallee got MassCue educator of the month award this month
- Sara Forfa is expecting a baby in next few months