January 13, 2020 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM; Virtual Meeting
Jennifer Dimmick, Secretary
Patsy Divver, Co-Director Metrowest Region
Maria D’Orsi, Co-Director Metrowest Region
Deeth Ellis, Co-Director Boston Region
Sarah Forfa, Co-Director West Region
Barb Fecteau, Co-Director Northeast Region
Michelle Fontaine, Treasurer
Wendy Garland, Awards
Alida Hanson, Professional Learning
Morgan Koehane, Co-Director Boston Region
Emily Kristofek, Office Manager
Laura Luker, President
Claudia Palframan, Co-Director Western Region
Greg Pronevitz, Director of Outreach
Reba Tierney, Forum Co-Editor
Carrie Tucker, Co-Director Southeast Region
Georgina Trebbe, Advocacy
Pamela Vallee, Co-Director Central Region
Jen Varney, President Elect
Welcome, call to order --- Laura Luker
Reports and minutes of December meeting were approved.
AASL letter UPDATE - this has been sent. 48 states signed on; 2 states who did not likely do not have a state school library association
Awards committee update --- Wendy Garland
- The recommend slate of award winners presented by the awards committee was approved
Treasurer --- Michelle Fontaine
- Nothing new to report
Advocacy --- Georgina Trebbe
- MBLC PR subcommittee will focus on librarians’ role in supporting early literacy; need to determine how MLS and MSLA can work together on this; MBLC will then do promotions for us once we determine what we want to do.
Outreach --- Greg Pronevitz
- MLA advocacy meeting was really interesting and great to be included as school librarians.
- Partnership with EveryLibrary and MLA is moving forward and folks are really engaged - preparing orientation to MA libraries for elected officials covering:
- Literacy (early and adult)
- Centers for community
- Workforce and career development
- College readiness
- Economic development
- Legislative committee meeting last week: MBLC reported that budgets look good this year (MA likely benefited from investment income). Will seek 3% increases for all budget lines except more will be requested for State Aid to Public Libraries. As done last year, MSLA should consider endorsing the Agenda, once it’s final.
- During the meeting James Lonergan suggested that someone at NESLA may have a connection to Miguel Cardona, President-elect Joe Biden's nominee for Secretary of Education. He is currently top of CT Ed Dept. If so, a communications plan might be in order.
- Library Legislative day is tentatively scheduled from April 6,7, 8, likely with a regional focus again. Greg will be seeking librarians to present the school library perspective.
- Discussed legislative breakfasts, noting that last year they didn’t really work out. This year the pandemic will interfere. Greg would be happy to organize a virtual meeting if someone wants to volunteer to virtually host one.
Conference --- Alida Hanson and Alix Woznick
- Many sessions all set
- Working on author panels now
- Planning to open registration on January 19
Other news/topics from board members --- Patsy Divver
- Maria D’Orsi, Barb Fecteau, and Laura Harrington will be presenting together - conference presentation on what it’s like being on the board.
- Georgina Trebbe - if you’re not getting the ALA Connect member updates, you should consider getting them. Very interesting thread right now on legislation regarding school librarians