and a recipient of a 2018 Lifetime Achievement Award.
The Special Legislative Commission on School Libraries in Massachusetts wrapped up four years of work this winter. A report was submitted to the Legislature, and recommendations were approved by the Commissioners. Good news, right?
And it is! For the first time, we have:
- Evidence we can share with decision makers about areas where equity is lacking in our school library programs
- Recommendations that are specific, have the backing of the library and educational communities, and come with a timeline and steps for implementation
- Allies! Commission members came from DESE, MTA, AFT, MBLC and the Legislature
- Improved access to school librarians and school libraries
- Improved access to information resources
- Improved access to information technology
- Improved access to funding
- Improved access to instruction